Thursday, February 10, 2005

Is Science Fiction involved in the Fleecing of America?

I was watching NBC’s Nightly News with Brian Williams last night (Feb 9, 2005) and they ran a segment that I normally watch with much interest.

The Fleecing of America is a segment that illustrates poor financial accountability by government agencies supporting big projects that are ill conceived boondoggles generally costing millions at the taxpayer’s expense.

So when I find that the military is spending money on research to facilitate Star Trek type teleportation, I found it more interesting than a farce. Of course then I realized that this series always showcases million dollar pot holes with blank checks to nowhere.

The US Air Force paid $25,000 to a company in Las Vegas called Warp Drive Metrics to do a teleportation feasibility study. Warp Drive Metric’s final report illustrated that teleportation would not be possible for the foreseeable future. Now I’ve seen and read of worse financial investments than this. Maybe it’s because the military is paying a company with the name Warp Drive Metrics. With a name like that sounds like they should be able to pull it off.
Read the NBC’s story here


Why this report isn’t as alarming to me as it is to others is because I know that scientists have already performed a teleportation breakthrough albeit at a very small level.
Read the BBC teleportation article here

---

I’ll conclude by writing that with our current financial deficits, cut backs, and growing military budgets, this story has roots in other interests.

No comments: