Monday, February 07, 2005

Equal Science and Science Fiction

Take one part Science one part Science Fiction and twist it until it starts to make sense.

In this blog you will find a few different approaches.

ONE: I will pair a variety of technolgies from different sciences together, throw in some theories and some creative ideas and see if there's a fit.

TWO: I will include original imagery and general ideas in hopes of provoking discussion.




Allot Hasn't Changed in 30 Years

We don't have bases on the moon and we aren't sending astronauts to Mars colonies. I was a big Sci-Fi fan as a kid, even a Trekie albeit not Trekie Convention kind. I beamed when the 1st Space Shuttle was named Enterprise. I didn't know a thing about national budgets as a kid, all I heard was the "sky's the limit". I just saw big rockets endlessly being fired into space. With some cruel irony, the sky was the limit as all the artists concepts of what space could be never panned out.

Technology Earth bound or not marches on with or without space travel. Now we have Laptops and PDA's with computing power that would make Mission Control in Houston in the 1960's envious. We have smaller nations outside of NASA that have their own rocket programs. More importantly we have individuals with entrepreneurial spirit with the likes of Burt Rutan who continue to push the bounderies of design. All these smaller components combined offer a glimpse posing a risning new challenge for space.


Of Science and Science Fiction

I am somewhat selective about science fiction, by that I mean I enjoy Science Fiction when there is some sort of factual or theoretical science embedded in a story. When it comes to science breakthroughs, I look to for them to fullful my overactive imagination. For me the possibilities in combining both are what its all about.

There is the middle ground where both can validate points made and make a story feel more plausible. It's achieving that suspension of disbelief or immersion level where an audience is willing to escape into brand new world of fact and fiction. There are line(s) between the real world and the imaginary world. Interweaving equal parts and allowing one to bridge or even blur the line(s) just enough to make it all the more interesting.

Of course there is always pure escapism. Where story ideas, images, and notions are not based anywhere in fact. Sometimes having every point explained can get tedious and kill the imagination process. Can too much science fact get in the way of good science fiction? In this blog I hope to keep both sides open just to see where it ends up going.


No comments: